Everyone needs encouragement. In times of trouble, through hours of loss, and standing on the sidelines of life, words of encouragement can help soothe a friend’s broken heart, comfort a lonely widow, and cheer on the goal-setting go-getter.
Whatever reason you’re sharing words of encouragement with a friend, loved one, or coworker, pair your words with a FruitFlowers® bundle to make a bigger impact and really lift their spirits or motivate them to keep pushing on and reaching for the stars. Choose one of our top-selling combinations such as our Spontaneous Surprise Bouquet Gift Set, which includes the stunning FruitFlower® of the Month and a delectable Chocolate-Covered Berries Gift Box. Or, consider the Just Joyful Gift Set, featuring the beautiful FruitFlower® of the Month paired with a delicious box of chocolate-covered strawberries and a decadent Godiva® Chocolate Box.
If one of our top-selling bundles isn’t suitable for the occasion, you can build your own FruitFlowers®. Choose the FruitFlower® of the Month or a gorgeous Rose & Alstroemeria bouquet and pair it with a box of chocolate dipped strawberries or assorted chocolate dipped fruits. Complete your gift with a special add-on like a cuddly plush teddy bear or a Godiva® Chocolate Box. They’ll absolutely love it!
Whether you yourself are looking for words of encouragement or you’d like to pass some along, we’ve compiled a lengthy list of soul-boosting words to help spread good vibes and well-being.
- Words of Encouragement for Him
- Words of Encouragement for Her
- Words of Encouragement for Kids
- Words of Encouragement for Disappointment
- Words of Encouragement for Loss
- Words of Encouragement for Life’s Challenges
- Words of Encouragement for Reaching Your Goals
- General Words of Encouragement
What you think is how you shape who you are. That’s why it’s important to be optimistic, have hope, and move forward in life with a positive attitude.
It takes strength to be gentle and step lightly. The stronger you are, the easier it is.
These words of encouragement are here to remind you that everything you do matters. Make each action a positive step toward your future.
Good men are good to other people.
- “If the decisions you make about where you invest your blood, sweat, and tears are not consistent with the person you aspire to be, you’ll never become that person.” – Clayton M. Christensen
What you seek and what you desire are only found through action. Who you want to be won’t just come to you – you have to work for it.
- “You – yourself, not someone else – need to determine where you want to go and what you want to do in your life. And once you make that decision, you can begin mapping a plan to get there and focusing on that objective every single day.” – Squire Rushnell
Send words of encouragement to your brother, friend, or relative, and motivate him to choose his own path and get after it.
- “Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity.” – W. Clement Stone
Stick to your guns, as they say. Your moral compass should always guide you through your life.
- “Every man who accomplishes things sees first in his mind what he wishes to do. He puts away all doubt. It makes no difference how small or how large the thing you want to do may be; if you have an unlimited confidence in your ability to do it, you will do.” – Charles Fillmore
Encouraging words to boost confidence in your ability. Can you see your goals ahead of you? If you can see it, you can do it.
- “There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great.” – G.K. Chesterton
Strong, confident people help raise others up.
- “The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Work hard. Give it your all. Success isn’t achieved suddenly. It’s achieved by working for it when others are slumbering.
- “The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics, whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were, and ask why not.” – John F. Kennedy
A far more lyrical way of saying, “Think outside the box.”
- “You will earn the respect of all men if you begin by earning the respect of yourself.” – Musonius Rufus
How can you expect others to respect you if you don’t respect yourself? How do you earn your own respect? Discipline. Make the best out of every day, build yourself into a strong individual, and treat yourself as someone who matters. Because you do.
Words of encouragement from Albert Einstein emphasizing the importance of what you have to offer the world, rather than what you are able to accumulate from it.
- “Do not live someone else’s life and someone else’s idea of what womanhood is. Womanhood is you. Womanhood is everything that’s inside of you.” – Viola Davis
You are enough.
- “Forget about the fast lane. If you really want to fly, just harness your power to your passion.” – Oprah Winfrey
Use what you’re passionate about to build your life. Surely, you’ll soar.
You have more power within you than you even realize. Imagine tapping into just a portion of the power you do have. The world is yours.
Turn negative words into positive ones.
Criticism and judgment seem to come from all directions sometimes. Unless the criticism is constructive and useful, toss it aside. Do what you think is right.
Words of encouragement from a highly successful entrepreneur about how success is earned through hard work. Get to it.
Where the mind goes…the man follows (another popular saying coined by scholars to describe multiple Biblical passages).
Confidence shines through your outer appearance, whatever that may be. As it is often said, beauty comes from within. And beauty starts with self-confidence.
Sometimes, the only thing standing in your way is you.
- “The power you have is to be the best version of yourself you can be, so you can create a better world.” – Ashley Rickards
Share these words of encouragement with your best friend, mom, or sister. Within you is the power to have an amazing life.
The laws of nature dictate that you reap what you sow. So sow good stuff.
Words of encouragement for kids who may not understand why they made a mistake.
Everyone makes mistakes. The key is to learn from them and do better next time.
Wise words from Dr. Seuss. Encourage a child you know to head for their dreams.
For children who love fairy tales, these words of encouragement from famous fairy tale author, Hans Christian Andersen, remind kids that life is the best story of all.
Encourage children to be creative. The world needs more of it.
These words of encouragement are to remind kids, and of course adults, to never give up. Never stop. Just keep going. Perseverance wins many races.
- “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein
A genius in his own right, Albert Einstein often spoke words of encouragement in his books. This particular quote eloquently expresses the fact everyone is different and smart at something.
Failure is a necessary component in finding success. It’s through the failures and setbacks that you figure out who you are and what you’re made of, which helps determine your future course.
In order to be good at anything, you have to start at the beginning. And typically, starting at the beginning means it may take you awhile to become an expert.
Words of encouragement from long-time, successful comedian, Steve Martin, to remind you that quality rises to the top.
Focus on the good things you want. As you zero in on your goals and dreams, you’ll begin to see the world around you show you the way.
People aren’t meant to be cookie-cutter replicas.
- “Sometimes when you’re in a dark place you think you’ve been buried, but you’ve actually been planted.” – Christine Caine
It’s true that it’s often the disappointments, failures, or setbacks themselves that actually launch you forward or set you up for great rewards.
- “Optimism is the one quality more associated with success and happiness than any other.” – Brian Tracy
When you’re optimistic about the things in front of you, you spot more opportunities, chase more goals, and achieve more success. You also smile more.
The only real failure is giving up. As long as you keep going, learn from your mistakes and the things that just didn’t go right, success will be a matter of time.
- “A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes.” – Hugh Downs
Learn to be happy and content no matter your circumstances – have a positive attitude and optimistic outlook. This doesn’t mean you won’t feel disappointment, but on the heels of disappointment comes opportunity.
Words of encouragement to remind you to use your disappointment to your advantage.
You’ve come this far. You’ve been through the bad days, climbed over your mountains, and managed to keep going until this point. Why stop now?
The disappointment you feel is because you care. Use that inner passion to fuel your next try.
- “There is not necessarily a solution for every problem; however, every problem can be managed positively.” – Robert Schuller
These words of encouragement are to remind you that problems will always exist. But you have the power to decide how to deal with them – negatively or positively.
You only truly fail if you give up.
- “The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way.” – Robert Kiyosaki
Disappointment is inevitable. It’s what you do when disappointment hits that helps determine how far you go.
Disappointments, like failures or setbacks, often set the stage for your next greatest achievement. It’s when we face adversity that we have the opportunity to rise higher than we were before.
- “Life is not always a celebration; so be ready to courageously face disappointments when they come, and be sure to grow stronger and wiser from them.” – Edmond Mbiaka
These words of encouragement express the ups and downs of life. Enjoy the ups, but be ready for the downs and learn from them.
- “Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.” – Wayne Dyer
How you react to something, good or bad, is your choice. You can either be miserable about your life or excited about your life. Positive or negative, it’s your choice.
Sometimes life takes things in a different direction than you planned. Rather than fighting it, adjust your course accordingly.
These words of encouragement for loss emphasize the importance of a life well lived.
- “What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” – Helen Keller
Though someone or something important may be gone from your life, they are never gone from your heart. Who or what you love remains inside you.
- “I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love.” – Leo Buscaglia
When you love someone, they become a part of who you are, even in how you behave and what you say.
- “What is lovely never dies, but passes into another loveliness, Star-dust or sea-foam, Flower or winged air.” – Thomas Bailey Aldrich
Part of the poem, “A Shadow in the Night,” these lyrical words of encouragement describe an ever-lasting beauty that transforms and never dies.
Losses of any kind are usually felt deep and long. Embracing the change, moving with the flow, and growing from the experience create a more enriching life.
- “The weird, weird thing about devastating loss is that life actually goes on. When you’re faced with a tragedy, a loss so huge that you have no idea how you can live through it, somehow, the world keeps turning, the seconds keep ticking.” – James Patterson
It is amazing that when your world seems to suddenly shift under your feet, everything else is still in place and moving along as though things are normal.
Part of the poem, “And death shall have no dominion,” these words of encouragement for loss convey how love itself never dies.
There is some comfort in knowing that the hurt from loss is deep because what you lost mattered so much. That’s love, and love lives forever.
Just when you think you can’t, you can. You have more strength than you realize.
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
It is the hard times that create the person. Character is built in times of struggle.
- “We all have challenges. You can let them be obstacles or roadblocks, or you can use them.” – Amy Purdy
Most things in life are beyond your control. What you can control is how you view things, how you feel, and what you do about it.
- “Courage isn’t having the strength to go on – it is going on when you don’t have strength.” – Author Unknown
These words of encouragement for life’s challenges remind you that courage itself is a sign of strength. You build continued strength by using your courage to just put one foot in front of the other.
- “It is our duty as men and women to proceed as though the limits of our abilities do not exist.” – Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Life’s challenges are usually about pushing limits. This encouraging quote reminds you that you should push back like you have no limits in your ability to meet and rise above the challenge.
A thought-provoking play on words to encourage you to believe that anything is possible.
- “We can’t be afraid of change. You may feel very secure in the pond that you are in, but if you never venture out of it, you will never know that there is such a thing as an ocean, a sea. Holding onto something that is good for you now, may be the very reason why you don’t have something better.” – C. JoyBell C.
Comfort doesn’t challenge you to seek something better. With change comes the possibility of greatness.
- “There are moments when troubles enter our lives and we can do nothing to avoid them. But they are there for a reason. Only when we have overcome them will we understand why they were there.” – Paulo Coelho
Words of encouragement for life’s challenges to help you understand that the challenges you face are there to teach you a lesson or two. You may not fully understand the reasoning until the lesson is over.
The only way to fail or think you have reached the end of your journey is to give up on going any further.
- “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” – Henry Ford
These words of encouragement are for anyone who feels stuck. When life throws everything at you – including the kitchen sink – remember what Henry Ford said. You, too, can be a force against nature and push through strong, opposing forces.
Don’t let life’s challenges get you down. Rise up to meet them, stare them in the eye, and tackle the problem at hand. It will build character.
Perspective can make a challenge either the worst thing in the world or an opportunity for improvement.
- “A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your steps as you walk the tightrope of life.” – William Arthur Ward
A good sense of humor will get you through many of life’s challenges.
When you want to reach your goals, you have to start somewhere. Don’t wait for some magical, perfect beginning, just start. Where you are. With what you have. And then build from there.
- “You dream. You plan. You reach. There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes. But with hard work, with belief, with confidence and trust in yourself and those around you, there are no limits.” – Michael Phelps
These words of encouragement from Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps, highlight the importance of believing in yourself while working hard.
Inspiration alone won’t help you reach your goals. Hard work is a must.
Success can be defined a number of ways. But it really is the journey that matters and not the destination.
Continuous practice makes for solid improvement. Keep going.
- “If you don’t build your dream, someone else will hire you to help them build theirs.” – Dhirubhai Ambani
Go after what you want. If you don’t choose to go after your own goals, you’ll be forced to work for someone else’s.
Look at every new day as a fresh start. Even if you’re about to tackle the same old same old, look at it in a brand new way, as though you were just beginning.
Just keep going.
- “Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.” – Earl Nightingale
It can be easy to fall into the trap of thinking, “there’s not enough time,” but the fact is, there is plenty of time. It’s what you do with that time. It’s ticking by either way.
The compound effect: do something every day that your future self will thank you for. Eventually, even when done little by little, you’ll have gained distance, in what looks like leaps and bounds.
- “Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish, but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything.” – Napoleon Hill
These words of encouragement for reaching your goals are to remind you to pursue them with action. Hopes, wishes, and dreams are ignited from the passion you have about something, but it is the desire to do something with that passion, hope, or dream that drives you toward success.
- “I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed.” – Booker T. Washington
Success happens on many levels. How people reach their success is often more of a testament to the success than simply the act of reaching the goal.
Make each step of your life a deliberate, positive move, and every step you make will be your best.
- “The successful man will profit from his mistakes and try again in a different way.” – Dale Carnegie
On the way to reaching your goals you’ll come up against adversity, challenges, failures, and setbacks. Use them. Turn your mistakes or losses into gains by learning from them.
What matters most is the present moment. Make the best of your present without worrying about the future or living in the past.
These words of encouragement are to remind you that sometimes you have to dig deep to turn your mood around. But it’s possible. It’s your choice.
- “We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.” – Joseph Campbell
Things just don’t always go the way you want or even the way you planned. Life sometimes takes you on a detour. Go with the flow. You never know what opportunities may be waiting for you.
Passion. Desire. Your inner fire will drive you forward. This encouragement quote is to remind you how important it is to keep the inner fire burning bright.
As you turn your thoughts to the positive side, follow through with positive actions as well.
Long before Nike whispered those three words, “just do it,” aviation pioneer and best-selling author, Amelia Earhart had it right – in order for it to get done, you do have to “just” do it.
These words of encouragement are to remind you that though courage does not take strength, courage is strength and by practicing an act of courage, you become stronger.
Courage allows you to explore more of your world.
- “Don’t worry about failures. Worry about the chances you miss when you don’t even try.” – Jack Canfield
At the end of the day, failure isn’t a big deal. It’s a part of the process. But if you don’t even try, then you may miss out on opportunities that could positively change your life.
- “Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.” – Brené Brown
Encourage yourself, friends, and family to go beyond their comfort zone. You may be surprised with the power you hold.
There is something in each of us that makes us different than everyone else. Famous comedian and actor, Robin Williams, touched many lives with his own spark of madness. Others need what only you have.
These words of encouragement are to remind you that happiness is a choice.
- “A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.” – David Brinkley
Success is frequently built off of failures, insults, setbacks, and disappointments.
- “The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” – Dan Millman
Change is going to happen whether you want it to or not. The key to change is accepting it, going with it, and creating something great from it.
Motivation doesn’t last forever, especially when you are knee-deep in menial tasks. Discipline is what will take you along your journey.
- “When things go wrong, as they sometimes will, when the road you’re trudging seems all uphill, when the funds are low and the debts are high, and you want to smile but you have to sigh, when care is pressing you down a bit – rest if you must, but don’t you quit.” – Edgar Albert Guest
From the poem, “Don’t Quit,” don’t quit. The only way to fail is to give up. Just keep going. Do not quit. You got this.
Whenever you need to share words of encouragement with a friend or loved one (or even yourself!), make it more impactful with a FruitFlowers® gift bundle. Choose one of our top-selling FruitFlowers® combinations or build your own gift bundle by choosing a gorgeous flower bouquet and decadent chocolate covered fruits.